Monday, May 13, 2019

Summer of Surgeries


As if the planned surgeries weren't enough, we had to go and add yet another round to our crazy, hectic schedule. The summer started with a bang, literally.

My husband had a mishap and fell through the floor of a barn loft. His compression, spiral fracture of his lower leg caused an immediate emergency surgery to stabilize the bones and bone fragments. This injury will require at least one additional surgery and possibly several more. I’ll spare you the pictures, but the doctor said it looked like a box of chiclets were sprinkled throughout the X-rays. 

I have official approval to be the donor for my son’s kidney transplant! We’re working with the transplant teams an it looks like the transplant will occur in early summer. It’s overwhelming and exciting.  



My oldest will be coming home from his mission the first week of June. Many of you remember his nemesis, the paintball. The injury sustained during that fateful game last year has once again risen through the ranks. He needs at least one more surgery to correct his eyesight as much as we can. This surgery has yet to be scheduled.

And last, but certainly not least, my arm. This has been a fun injury. I had a cabinet door fall on me at work. I sustained an injury that can only be described as “Carpal Tunnel of the Funny Bone.” There’s a medical term for it, but this description is adequate. Basically, my arm from my elbow to my fingertips is continually numb, much like when your foot falls asleep. We’re working with the surgeon to coordinate the surgery around everything else that’s happening. 

So many fun things will be happening in the coming months. Instead of focusing on all the rough patches, we’re choosing to focus on the fun. My second son is graduating from high school. My oldest is returning from his mission. I’m in the midst of college classes; hoping that I can pass. And, we’re going to Hawaii! This trip will be a chance for healing. It will be a wonderful escape from reality. It will be fun, a time to revitalize and focus on the most important things in our lives - our family.  Everything else will fall into place. 


As I have seen numerous times, there is ALWAYS a silver lining. We just need to look for it. Even though things are crazy busy, they are crazy wonderful too. Focus on the good and you’ll get through the trials. 


PS... Many people have asked how they can help. There's a GoFundMe here and several fundraisers that are and will be happening. Prayers and good vibes are also VERY appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Such a powerful example of being positive in spite of all the trials. I'm grateful for our friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration! Thanks for reminding us to focus on the good through our trials. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Stephanie! Somehow this all reads like the sanctification process. Much love, many prayers, continued friendship and a little (not enough) $$ coming from our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. play bazaar

    play bazaar Partially freezing meat makes it easier to slice into thin strips. This is best for Asian meals such as Thai or Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete