Saturday, May 20, 2017

Medical Monday - A couple days early...

We’ve been going to the doctor every 2-3 months because Jaydon is finally on a growth hormone that’s working! He’s responding beautifully! He’s over 5 feet tall and has crossed the 100 pound threshold! He’s so proud of himself.

A wonderful moment happened today when I pulled out a pair of pants that have been kicking around for quite some time. “Hey, these were Chazz’s pants but they’re 4 inches too short for him. Try them on. If they don’t fit, I’ll send them to the DI.”

He and Dakota tried them on. And, with a belt, they fit! Good grief! We’ve gone from the size 10s to the 12s to the 14s to men’s sizes in pants in ONE year with these two!

At the last appointment, we changed up Jaydon’s blood pressure medication. If we can keep his blood pressure lower, we can keep the kidney functioning longer. “Here’s the RX and the lab order. Get the labs done in 7-10 days.”

It was closer to 10 days when we got it done. Still within the timeframe we had been given. I didn’t give it another thought.

UNTIL, I was at the Storymakers Conference. I was riding the escalator. My phone was on silent so I wouldn’t disturb the wonderful presenters. I felt the vibration of a new message and listened in shock.

“Stephanie, you need to stop that new med immediately! I don’t know what happened and why there was a delay. But the results from TWO WEEKS AGO indicate that his kidney is failing! I don’t know why there was a delay, but we need immediate action. I’ll call again on Monday.”

I made a frantic phone call to my sister who had my kids. “Take that little green pill out of the baggie RIGHT NOW! It’s literally killing him!”

Heads turned in the lobby. I’m sure they thought I was crazy or part of a plot or part of some class.

It’s crazy to know that you’re 100+ miles away from your kid and there’s nothing you could do even if you were there. Combine that with the flooding that was happening and the cow insanely close to her due date and it’s a recipe for stress.

Luckily, I had the best roomies who took me to a French Bakery for desserts - yes, plural. I’m not sure they knew what was going on… but I’m so thankful!

Monday, I had a great discussion with our doctor. We’ll go back to the previous BP med with labs in 7-10 days. If this fails, we’ll need to stop/delay the growth hormones. We may even need to look at dialysis.”

My heart is lurching in my chest. But, already I can see a bit of improvement. His coloring is better, he’s more active, he’s not sleeping as much. He still sleeps a lot. BUT! Things are looking better.

The flooding has receded a bit. The cow still hasn’t calved. We still don’t have the answers we want or need. BUT, it will all work out. We are praying and everything is in God’s hands.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, everything is in God's hands. You are very brave and a wonderful mother!