Monday, May 29, 2017

Medical Monday - The Tests

Thursday was the last day of school. It was also my birthday. It was also the day I both dreaded and looked forward to. Thursday was the day we went to do labs. Thursday is the day we’d finally find out how much damage the medicine debacle caused Jaydon’s kidney. Thursday was the day we’d find out if we were shopping for a new kidney, starting dialysis, stopping the growth hormone, or remaining status quo.

So many things went wrong that morning. So many hurdles… Many of his teachers wouldn’t sign him out early. I can only assume they didn’t want the kids roaming the streets like wild Indians. I get it. I do. Once the delaying issue was identified, I escorted him to each of his classrooms and waited at the door for the teacher to sign him out. I don’t think the one teacher expected me to bite back when I was told I interrupted an important meeting. “Tell me how your important meeting is more important than me trying to get my child to his appointments in Salt Lake. Ones we should have left 45 minutes ago to get to.”

I really should thank this teacher because this incident gave me something to think about besides the impending tests. It gave me something to dwell on while I drove. Something besides worrying about the unknown. Something to do besides what I should have been doing - praying.

We arrived at PCMC and Jaydon was almost immediately escorted back for labs. It took somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 minutes. The doctor told us, “We’ll call you with the results this afternoon.”

I celebrated the completion of the tests with Flan and Tres Leches Cake from Cafe Rio while the kids had their choice of meals from McDonalds. I also had tamales and enchiladas, but the cakes were the best!

By Friday morning, all I knew was that the test was complete but the nurses couldn’t/wouldn’t release the results without the doctor reviewing them first. I played with their online system for a while until I finally figured out what my password was. I was reviewing the results - many of them marked with red - when I got the call. The creatnine levels had once again stabilized. The other labs “weren’t clinically significant” enough to do any meddling. So, we are Status Quo. Nothing is changing yet. Our summer is still intact.

Fear and dread have been banished. I am constantly in awe of God’s goodness. His grace. His love. I’ve felt the prayers envelope me as I’ve driven, waited, stewed, and cried. We are all in his arms and He is in our lives. He knows each and every one of us and loves us through our faults and trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment