Thursday, May 12, 2011

Writers' Conference & the week after...

I survived the LDStoryMaker’s Writers’ Conference! BootCamp was an interesting experience, to say the least. It wasn’t exactly what I expected, but I did get some good things out of it. Liz Adair was our table moderator. She was excellent and gave wonderful comments and suggestions.

I waddled around between classes making new friends and contacts. My pitch session was interesting! Kirk Shaw was very accommodating to say the least. Those of you that know me really well are aware that it is sometimes extremely difficult for me to meet new people-especially if I feel that person will be judging me (or my baby). Needless to say, I was a bundle of nerves. After we got talking about my book, everything just seemed to flow. Kirk requested a full manuscript as well as a New Author’s Questionnaire. I was floating on cloud nine!

I called my husband first and told him the good news. Jay isn’t really good about expressing emotion at most things, but he was really excited for me and told me to hurry home because nothing works right without me there. When I called my sister and my mom, they actually screamed into the phone! I was standing at the back of a class (which hadn’t started yet) and I’m sure everyone could hear my mom’s scream! It was awesome – truly one of those feel-good moments!

I was able to meet one of my all-time favorite authors – Traci Hunter Abramson. She is an amazing person and very down-to-earth. She seemed very interested in me and my writing. I met numerous other authors as well – too many to count! Everyone was amazingly supportive.

When I got home, my kids mobbed me and my husband breathed an audible sigh of relief. I did a minor revision to my manuscript and finished at around three yesterday. It seemed everything ganged up on me to make it so that I wouldn’t be able to send my manuscript. Dog bites (literally), concerts, missing dinner, work and just plain life threatened to get in the way. I was very discouraged. However, after a prayer-or rather several prayers (for strength, help and finally thanks), a phone call to my sister and several deep breaths everything again fell into place and I was finally able to press send just before midnight.

I stayed awake waiting for that freak-out moment that I knew would come, but it hasn’t. Last night was the first night in I don’t know how long that I actually slept soundly, waking only once when Tank decided to adjust his sleeping arrangements in his kennel. Tank is a very small dog, weighing in at over 100 lbs (that’s not a typo) so when he moves, EVERYONE knows it. Amazingly, I feel rested and refreshed which is something that hasn’t happened for several months.

I know the review process can be lengthy-several months in fact, but I’m hoping the review committee finds my book appealing and can’t put it down. A girl can hope! Thanks to everyone who read, cheered, cried, and was THERE for me!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm so happy for you! That's a scary thing to do, and I'm glad you did it! It's a great feeling of accomplishment, especially when you get a great night's sleep afterward too. :) Not too shabby!

    Finger's crossed here that they won't be able to put it down! :)